I know a lot of people won’t agree with my picks…I’ll give my honorable mentions at the end. However, I tend to judge by an older standard anyway and these listed meet it. These are actors that did not short change their fans in the parts I watched. Some got stereotyped and others didn’t get the mention they deserved…Well, they get it here! Besides, it gives me a breather from my novel 😀
10. Shelley Winters (A Patch of Blue) In this one, she played a HO I WANTED to slap!
9. Barbara Stanwyck (Double Indemnity)
8. Dame Judith Anderson (Rebecca)
7. Glenn Close (Fatal Attraction)
6. Al Pacino (Scarface)
5. Jack Nicholson (The Shining)
4. Farah Fawcett (Small Sacrifices) ***An actress that didn’t get the recognition I feel she deserved! This actress played this bitch to the hilt!***
3. Ben Cross (Dark Shadows 1991) Ben Cross as Barnabas! And he was the best frigging Barnabas too! The difference in this character and most “villains” is this character is not a villain by choice–but by necessity. This character is probably the only villain I could have any empathy for because his plight is forced upon him. However, the beast is not something he can always control. The man playing this character is, in my opinion, the most UNDERAPPRECIATED actor on the planet! My only regrets were that it ended after only 12 episodes–and Angelique didn’t get HER butt kicked! If you watch these episodes, Ben tempered that character just enough to make him realistic to an audience that used to run home from kindergarten to watch the original Dark Shadows with Jonathan Frid! As much as I loved Frid as a child, this guy made that part his own. In doing so, the bar got raised too high for anyone who follows in my opinion. Not even Johnny Depp could pull it off. Sorry.
I definitely wouldn’t want to be on his bad side after watching the clip in that link!
2. Bette Davis (Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?)–*Just to note–when she played a bitch–she played it right!*
She should have received an Oscar for this one!
1. Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs) ***Need I say more here?!***
Honorable mentions: Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), Faye Dunaway (Mommy Dearest), Elizabeth Montgomery (Amos), Ricardo Montalban (The Wrath of Kahn) , Bruce Dern (Silent Running), Cherlize Theron (Monster), Powers Boothe (Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones), Patty McCormack (The Bad Seed) and Chuck Connors (Roots)
I know that a lot won’t agree with my list and that is fine…Like I said, these are my picks…I think every blogger should make a list of SOME sort. There is a common thread I noticed between Ben Cross and Anthony Hopkins. They have very intense eyes…That is one thing I notice when an actor plays a part–if the character is “in the eyes” and they can both pull that off without a hitch. A lot of younger actors cannot pull that off today.